Chances are if you're in your late 40's or early 50's, you are no stranger to anti-aging products. You may even have several products that you'd swear by — or conversely, you have a cabinet full of products that don't work but are too expensive to throw out. If 50 really is the new 40, what has changed and how can we capitalize on the changes? Here are some surprising reasons your skin looks better now and you're living a better lifestyle.
- We started wearing sunblock much sooner than our mothers. With the heightened awareness of skin cancer over the last 20 years, many of us ditched the "glow" on our face from a tan in exchange for fewer wrinkles. Using sun protection daily is the No.1 way to protect your skin from disease and wrinkles.
- Smoking is no longer an alluring habit. Aside from lung cancer and other diseases, we can readily see the effects of smoke on our skin. Fewer women are smoking today than years ago and their skin is seeing the positive results.
- There is an increased awareness of how food and H2O affect your skin. Water intake has replaced the diet sodas of years past, and our skin has become more hydrated. In addition, healthy lifestyle changes that include the rich antioxidants found in fruits and vegetables keep our skin looking younger.
- We've learned that our attitude can affect the way we look. If you can manage your stress levels with exercise and positive self-talk, you will trigger the immune system to lower the levels of inflammation in your skin. Practicing gratitude will not only bring out your inner beauty but your outer beauty, too.
- We've learned the importance of a good skincare routine. We don't necessarily need to spend a lot of money on products, but we do need to use good ones. Washing with a gentle cleanser, exfoliating twice a week, and moisturizing are the basic steps that most women follow these days. If you add a retinol or eye cream to your routine, you are in even better shape. With so many products on the market, most women realize the importance of taking care of their skin.
Since sunscreen is a leading factor in preventing the signs of aging, be sure to wear Brush On Block® every day, and reapply frequently when you are outdoors.