Skip to content


Your cart is empty

Article: IRA Rays

Brush On Block of mom with sunglasses and little boy

IRA Rays

It’s safe to assume you’ve already been warned about the harmful effects of UVA and UVB rays, which cause the skin to wrinkle, burn, and in some cases cause cancer. But what you probably don’t know, is that these rays only account for 7% of the energy emitted by the sun. This begs the question, what about the other 93%? And if UVA and UVB rays are so harmful for our skin, are these other rays as harmful as well?

The majority of the energy emitted by the sun--roughly 54%--is through infrared radiation (IR). The majority of IR comes from the sun, but IR can also come from sneaky man-made sources of heat, such as hair dryers, radiators, and gel manicures. There has not been much research done on the effects of sun-related IR until recently, because the medical community did not see it as a threat or danger to us. However, recent studies conducted by the US National Library of Medicine are beginning to alert us of the danger infrared radiation--specifically infrared A radiation (IRA)--poses to our skin.

Due to their longer wavelength and lower frequency, IRA rays are able to penetrate deeper into the skin than UVA and UVB rays can. This unique permeating ability allows IRA rays to reach deep enough through the skin to where cells are formed. A study in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology suggests that when IRA rays come in contact with these cells, they generate free radicals that alter collagen, elastin and protein structures. This contributes to a loss of skin elasticity and reduced firmness, in addition to causing fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, dryness, and premature aging.

As a result of these recent discoveries, tests are now available to detect the efficiency of sunscreens to protect against IRA rays. While the majority of traditional sunscreens only protected from UV rays, Brush On Block has proven to go a step further by offering full spectrum protection. This means that when you wear Brush On Block, you’re defending your skin from UVA, UVB, and IRA rays.

No one wants premature wrinkles or to be at a higher risk for skin cancer. Be good to your skin and shop the Brush On Block website to get the broadest sunray protection possible!