If you wake up in the morning and look in the mirror only to find another breakout on your skin, you’re not alone. While most of us thought acne would be a thing of the past after high school, many people struggle with it, including people in their 30s, 40s and 50s.
Why do adults get acne?
1. Stress. While the reasons for acne vary from person to person, the number one cause may be stress—so it’s no wonder so many adults struggle with it! If you’re anxious about work, your kids, financial obligations or health issues, worry may be increasing your number of breakouts.
2. Diet. While there is some argument about which junk foods cause acne, it is obvious that a diet high in sugar, artificial sweeteners and fat can increase the oils in your skin and cause breakouts.
3. Changes in hormone levels. For women, this means going through menopause or changing birth control regimens can cause your skin to break out, and for men and women, simply growing older causes you to produce less estrogen and testosterone, which can cause breakouts.
4. Medications. As you age, you will most likely find yourself taking more medications, and the side-effects of some of these may be acne.
How can you prevent or treat your breakouts?
1. Wash your face twice a day (no more, no less). Washing your face every day unclogs your pores and keeps your skin clean, which is the best way to prevent breakouts. However, washing your skin too often can cause dry skin and redness.
2. Ladies, remove your makeup. Residual makeup clogs pores and makes your skin oily. It can also cause irritation and redness.
3. Try a prescription medication. If you have more than the occasional breakout or you suffer from acne on your back or other parts of your body, ask your doctor about a prescription acne medication.
4. Use a daily sunscreen that is not thick and greasy. You know you need to protect your skin from the sun every day, but sunscreen can be thick, hard to spread and greasy looking. Avoid these problems by using Brush On Block® Broad Spectrum SPF 30 as the last step of your daily routine. This mineral powder sunscreen will give you a clean, matte finish and still keep you protected from the sun's damaging rays.